is a blog about my life in Finland after the exchange year in Taiwan, and how it is like to live in one country, remember another and love them both.

perjantai 26. elokuuta 2011

Small things I do

These days I have been having so much fun with my friends, laughing at silly things, doing even sillier things, and just being free and happy. I love my friends, and my life here in Jyväskylä would be nothing without them. But then, sometimes, in the middle of planning new bands and "bands" with them, I suddenly remember the JiaoDa choir and how it felt like to be one sound with them, and I just want to get back. That is one of the reasons why I want to sing the taiwanese songs with our singing group: some part of these lives would be together, connected with music that can be felt in every language.

Now, when I see an asian face, I automatically focus on them, straining to hear if they speak chinese or not, unconciously following them. To me, sometimes they look more familiar than these white-faced strangers. I saw an asian father playing with his kid on the yard of my appartment building, and I just stopped and stood there watching them play like I'd seen a father with his kid for the first time. Somehow I feel connected to them, even though I have no idea who they are.

Today morning I went to buy something to drink and I found a bottle of Guava juice in the crocery store. It made me so happy that I was smiling there alone. I bought it even though it was ridiculously expencive, because that is one of the flavours of Taiwan to me. The taste makes me remember.

Some moments I perfectly love the peace and quiet in here, embracing the silent streets in the evening. I love the early autumn breeze on my face, although I know it's the sing of coming winter. The nature looks so beautiful, so untouched, so familiar and friendly. Some other moments I feel all this, but still strangely miss the noise, and the crowd and the flashing lights of the night market, and the lovely buzz on the campus in Jiaoda.. Before I went to Taiwan, I always thought the amount of people and the hectic rhythm of the city would be the worst for me.. And now I find myself looking at the pictures and wishing I could hop back in the middle of those people.

I met some taiwanese exchange students in Jyväskylä this week. I'm hoping I will make friends with them and maybe others that will come later, maybe that way I can feel my other home country through them, and also get to speak chinese, which I do not want to forget after spending so much time and effort on learning it.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti